Artists are often judged and written off as lazy wastrels, with no sense of purpose or focus. Art history is replete with examples of master artists who were spurned by society – they achieved recognition and fame only after death.
Over time, the merits of art have been acknowledged by educators and therapists. Art is a great way to calm yourself and decrease stress levels. If you make regular time in your schedule for creativity, you will instantly start to see results in how you feel.
- Art helped me revisit and take note of ordinary things like dewdrops glistening on the petals of flowers or the lurid colours of the sunset – to see the beauty in something as ordinary as a street-scene. Art is synonymous with appreciation – it isn’t about what you look at, it’s about what you see.
- When viewing an image of something I have not personally experienced or an emotion that I don’t have a personal context of, the image stays with me – I process it, experience and empathise with the emotion.
- Art is a language through which we can express thoughts and feelings which we cannot articulate in words. A picture is worth a thousand words. When I create a painting, I set free that which is within me by bringing it out into the world and giving expression to it on a canvas.
- Art helps you focus on the essence of a scene. The artistic eye homes in on the most memorable and essential elements of a scene, be they the energy or emotions around the scene. I once attended a mesmerising Sufi concert at a heritage monument in Delhi. The haunting, soulful music and “Rumi-esque” energy of the performers, stayed with me and compelled me to create the series of paintings titled “From The Realm Of The Heart’, (featured in my Etsy Store and
Art is a way of recording beautiful moments and memories.
- Most of all, Art is my way of keeping my head on my shoulders and keeping my balance. As it is said, “In the middle of chaos, there is creativity”. Art is my way of healing my self, dealing with overwhelming, stressful situations and keeping myself centered
As Salvador Dali once said, “No masterpiece was ever created by a lazy person”. In defence of myself and my fellow artists, artists are risk-takers, problem solvers who are consumed with beauty. Artists think with their hearts, work independently, they are optimists (art being the highest form of hope), full of emotion and driven by passion.